Thursday, June 3, 2010

Bonnaroo Vs. The Point

There's been some major construction taking place where I live, so The Point (pointfm.com) has been playing constantly through my clock radio, and they've been subliminally prepping my ears for Bonnaroo: I'm ready for chainsaws, power drills and buzzsaws, as Dave Matthews strums strange rythyms and sings about teaching kids to fly, and the Kings of Leon kick up John Mellencamp riffs, into 21st century power pop. In less time than it took to replace a section of roof on this cabin, the whole tent city will rise and fall, and all of us-- Conan O'Brien, Jay-Z and Stevie Wonder included-- will make our way to some wide, flat place, and bob heads together. As for The Point is amazing, for being an independent radio network. I give them credit for being reasonable, interesting, and willing-- and for giving away as many tickets as they can. For that reason they get a pass, for riding too closely to the Natalie Merchant-Stevie Nicks-Melissa Etheridge playlist. Usually they're in competition with my Sirius stream... but local radio will always have its place. Yesterday's interview with Grace Potter was excellent, and worth breaking up the morning drive-time playlist (I learned that Goddard's Haybarn was the alleged site of Black Sabbath's first American performance?). Live performance, though you can't turn it off, like a contractor's chainsaw, will always have its place, some temporary and reconstructive din. One of the best parts of Phish fests was the live radio station: being able to tune in and drop out for a few in the car, melding the two media together. Though we'll all be camped in a field at Bonnaroo, overloading cell phone data networks trying to stream digital information that relates to our lives, I'll always be glad to wake up to a clock radio. When I was a kid, WCZN 1590 AM, Your Country Cousin; for now, it's The Point, as I gather my granola bars, and stuff some Nag Champa in with my sleeping bag.

2 comments:

  1. Chris,

    This is a nice piece of writing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catching up on your blog... Black Sabbath show scheduled for Goddard was actually cancelled.... I remember hearing about that back in the day and researching. I bet J Willis Pratt would have been there though!

    ReplyDelete